Under the Current Bay of Plenty Regional Navigation Safety Bylaw, no person(s) other than the
Maritime Team may remove, utilise or interfere with any navigation aids or moorings. If this is a
requirement for your Aquatic Event a cost will apply.
Safe Operating Plan (SOP)
Please attach a copy of the Activity/Events Safe Operating Plan. To enable us to assess your
application, this should include detail such as, but not restricted to:
- Number and type of vessels and people involved.
- Qualification and/or experience of safety vessel operator(s) event organiser and events safety
- Numbers and types of patrol/marshal/safety vessels and how they will be used to manage risk
including preventing unauthorised vessels from entering any reserved areas.
- Emergency procedures.
- Operating procedures, e.g. briefing, start process, during the race, finishing and debriefing.
- Operational limits: e.g. wind, tide, rain, swells etc.
- First Aid equipment and number of First Aid trained personnel on site.
- Communication process (VHF, mobile phones, PA, etc.).
- A list of all safety equipment on site and carried on board vessels.
- Compliance with Maritime rules.
- Analysis of all risks involved in the event and what measures will be used to eliminate, isolate
or minimise those hazards, including aquatic weeds/biosecurity prevention procedures.
- Map of event course(s) and required reserved areas.
- A communications plan between event organisers and Council.
- Schedule of safety briefings and key messages.
- Justification for any reserved areas and bylaw uplifting requested.
- A copy of the insurance policy held for the event.
- Affiliations to any national bodies.