Lake Rotorua

Lake Rotorua

Nitrogen Discharge Allocation

What is a Nitrogen Discharge Allocation?

A Nitrogen Discharge Allocation (NDA) sets out the maximum amount of nitrogen loss that is allowed to occur from a property after 2032. All properties that need consent will receive a NDA.

What is the approach to Nitrogen Allocation in the proposed rules?

The approach to allocating nitrogen in the proposed rules is guided by the principles within the Regional Policy Statement and the Lake Rotorua Stakeholder Advisory Group. It is acknowledged that any allocation approach will have implications for land owners.

There is no ‘right way’ to allocate nitrogen discharge allowances. The allocation within the proposed rules recognises that everyone needs to be part of the solution to reduce Nitrogen loss within the catchment.

A range of options were explored and assessed. In the end, a hybrid approach - sector averaging with ranges adjusted on the basis of Rule 11 benchmarking - was chosen.

How is a Nitrogen Discharge Allocation calculated?

Bay of Plenty Regional Council will calculate your NDA. It will be based on your 2001-04 benchmark* and what that number would be under OVERSEER® 6.2.0, the standard sector reduction (31.3% for dairy and 20% for drystock) and the sector ranges.

*If you were not benchmarked then the calculation will include a derived benchmark.

Want to know what your NDA will be under the proposed rules?

Contact our Land Management team to set up an appointment to come in and show us the boundary fence lines of your farm. From there we can start the process of calculating your NDA. 

Want to know what your current nitrogen loss is?

An approved Land Use Advisor will need to evaluate your current nitrogen loss. The Land Use Advice and Support service provides funding for all landowners in the Lake Rotorua catchment to have an independent Land Use Advisor to evaluate current nitrogen loss and then develop a Nitrogen Management Plan that shows how you can meet your NDA by 2032. 

How is nitrogen loss going to be calculated?

We intend to use the OVERSEER®  nutrient budget model which is used extensively by Council, other regional councils, farm consultants and fertiliser companies to assess farm nutrient inputs and losses.

For more information:

Report on OVERSEER® 

Visit the OVERSEER®  website